Comprehensive care at Lancaster General Health Women & Babies Hospital includes a three-physician maternal-fetal medicine practice dedicated to high-risk pregnancy care.
Lancaster General Health Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialists offers convenient prenatal care and counseling at its offices in the Women's Outpatient Pavilion. If you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or may be at risk for complications during pregnancy and childbirth, your doctor or obstetrician may recommend a consultation.
Maternal-fetal medicine specialists are obstetricians with special training in the diagnosis and treatment of potential complications during pregnancy and childbirth. Also referred to as perinatologists, these specialists work hand-in-hand with obstetricians, family doctors and midwives to provide screenings, monitoring, education and care for mothers and their unborn babies throughout high-risk pregnancies. The goal is to ensure the safest delivery possible.
Potential for high-risk pregnancies
You may be referred for high-risk pregnancy care or prenatal consultation if:
- You have had health concerns such as high blood pressure, diabetes, kidney disease or cancer
- You are expecting multiple births: twins, triplets or more
- You have had prior problem pregnancies
- Your fetus has been diagnosed with a problem or are at risk for one (such as spina bifida)
- You are planning a pregnancy and are concerned about risk factors, including family histories of medical or genetic problems, a woman's pre-existing medical condition or age
Maternal-fetal medicine services
- Pre-conception counseling
- Prenatal diagnostic procedures to include amniocentesis
- Targeted ultrasound (sonogram images to evaluate fetal development for diagnostic purposes)
- Three-dimensional (3D) and four-dimensional (4D) ultrasound for select patients
- Genetic counseling
- Testing for high-risk indicators
- Second opinions and consultations of known pregnancy complications
- Consultation during labor for high-risk situations
- Transfer of patients from other communities requiring specialty care
Prenatal diagnosis and testing
The team at LG Health Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialists uses advanced ultrasound machines that can provide prenatal diagnosis for various conditions, and offer three- and four-dimensional imaging of the fetus in the mother's womb for select patients. In addition, you will have access to many of the standard prenatal tests which help detect chromosome problems and gauge the development of the baby, including:
- including non-stress tests
- chorionic villus sampling (CVS)
- percutaneous umbilical blood sampling (PUBS)
Your care team
Your team includes three physicians who are maternal-fetal medicine specialists:
Philip Bayliss, MD
Robert Larkin, MD
Additional dedicated staff include genetic counselors, ultrasound technologists, nurses and support staff.
Making an appointment
Because of the close partnership our specialists have with your doctor or midwife, you will need a referral to Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialists to make sure you receive the most appropriate care. Call 717-544-3514 for an appointment.