Your Health & Safety
At Lancaster General Hospital, your safety is a high priority as we provide services to you and your family. One important way that you can help us is to be an active member of your healthcare team. Here are a few tips on how you can help us keep our commitment to patient safety.
- Speak up if you have questions or concerns. It's okay to ask questions and to expect answers you can understand.
- Keep a list of all the medications you take. This includes prescription medicines as well as all over-the-counter medicines like aspirin, vitamins, and natural products. Tell us about any drug allergies or adverse reactions that you have had in the past.
- Make sure you get the results of any test or procedure. Ask your doctor or nurse when and how you will get the results of tests or procedures. Also, ask the doctor what the results mean for your care.
- Ask a family member or friend to be there with you and to be your advocate (someone who can help get things done and speak up for you if you can't). Your advocate can ask questions that you may not think of while you are under stress. They can also help remember answers to questions you have asked.
- Make sure you understand what will happen if you need a procedure. Make sure you and your surgeon agree on what procedure is to be performed.
- And most importantly: Participate in all decisions about your treatment. You are the center of the healthcare team.