E-mail Contact Us Volunteer Make A Gift En Español Employees  
Health Library > Search Topics

Search Topic

Language Choice

Allergic Reaction to Metal

Allergy to metal

An allergic reaction to metal is an overreaction of the body's immune system to a substance (allergen) in a metal. An allergic reaction to metal can cause intense swelling, pain, and itching.

Nickel is the most common metal allergen. Jewelry that does not trigger an allergic reaction is made from:

  • Stainless steel (grade-300).
  • 14- or 18-karat gold.
  • Niobium.
  • Titanium.
  • Platinum.
  • Dense, nonporous plastic, such as monofilament nylon, acrylic, or Lucite.

Contact Us:

1-888-LGH-INFO (544-4636) Have a question?
Follow us online.