February 18, 2020
August 7, 2015
We cooked up this popular all-American sandwich, the hamburger barbecue, using 99 percent fat free turkey, which has less fat and more protein than lean ground sirloin.
Turkey contains lots of niacin, a B-complex vitamin that promotes healthy blood circulation, and helps to control glucose metabolism and cholesterol levels. It’s also rich in vitamin B-6, to aid in healthy nerve function and protect against heart disease; and selenium, a trace mineral that supports immunity, controls thyroid function and protects your body against the cellular damage that can lead to cancer or other chronic diseases.
Not only an American favorite, “barbecue” is a sweet and sour sandwich filling loved by the Pennsylvania Dutch and pairs perfectly with the crunch of our good 'n healthy Pepper Cabbage. And kids love it too!
- 1 pound lean 99 percent ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery or green pepper, or mixture of both, diced
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 1, 8 ounce can no salt tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat large skillet to medium low and add olive oil, onion and celery/green pepper.
- Sauté to soften vegetables, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic and sauté one more minute.
- Transfer sautéed vegetables to bowl then add ground turkey to skillet.
- Sauté ground turkey on medium low, stirring often, about 10 minutes or until it is no longer pink.
- Return vegetables to skillet with ground turkey and add remaining ingredients.
- Cover, and simmer on low for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on mini whole wheat sliders, if desired.
Makes 10 sliders
Per ¼ cup serving (without roll*): 95 calories; .5g total fat (0.0g saturated, 0.0g polyunsaturated, 0.0g monounsaturated); 311.5mg sodium; 28mg cholesterol; 12.1g carbohydrate; 11.4g sugars;.7g fiber; 15.2g protein; 47.8mg potassium.
*Nutritional value of one mini wheat slider: 100 calories; 2.0g fat; 150.0mg sodium; 0.0 cholesterol; 17g carbohydrates; 1.0g fiber; 5.0g protein; 0.0g potassium.