Tropical Green Kale Smoothie
May 27, 2016
June 16, 2015
No wonder smoothies are so popular. They are an easy, on-the-go substitute for a meal, snack or dessert. The combo of veggies, fruits and liquids are limitless, and kids love them, too!
For a well-balanced nutritious smoothie, we like a combo of veggies and fruits along with a liquid. The beauty of the smoothie: No need for extra sugar or calories because the fruit will give you just enough healthy sweetness.
Smoothies provide dietary fiber while easy on your digestive system and help you slim down the healthy way.
Here are a few smoothie tips:
- Try a variety of leafy greens, such as spinach and lettuce, to vary the nutritional benefit.
- Freeze fruits for extra chill. Prepare ahead by cutting and freezing on a baking sheet so they won’t stick together before placing in a freezer bag. This works great for bananas too.
- Blend liquids and leafy greens first to avoid chunks, then add the fruit.
Did we mention a blender is a must-have?
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups chopped kale, stems removed
- 1 large banana
- 1 cup sliced mango or pineapple (fresh or frozen)
Blend almond milk and kale until pulverized. Add fruit and blend until smooth.
Makes 2 servings.
Per serving: 189 calories; 2g total fat (0.2g saturated; 0.5g polyunsaturated; 0.8g monounsaturated); 106 mg sodium; 0 mg cholesterol; 42.2 g carbohydrate (26.1g sugars); 4.4g protein; 6.2g fiber.