Double Chocolate Pie
February 23, 2017
August 22, 2016
In addition to being delicious, our Double Chocolate Pie is dairy-free, with a creamy, soft texture that is ideal for people undergoing cancer treatment.
If you’ve been hesitant to try tofu this is a great place to start. High in protein, iron and calcium, tofu’s mild flavor makes a great base for many recipes that will benefit the entire family.
The chocolate chips can be any chip of your liking—milk chocolate, dark chocolate or vegan chips. You could even experiment with a mixture of different chips.
If you prefer to substitute the ⅓ cup coffee liqueur, mix together 2 teaspoons instant coffee with 4 tablespoons water and 1 to 2 teaspoons chocolate extract. You can also use unsweetened cocoa powder and sweeten the mixture to taste with sugar if you do not have chocolate extract.
Very easy and fast to make, this delicious pie can be refrigerated for several days.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Chilling time: 2 or more hours
Total time: About 2 hours and 30 minutes
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup coffee liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 block of silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter, more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar OR honey
- 1 prepared chocolate wafer crust
- Place small metal bowl over a saucepan with simmering water.
- Melt the chocolate and coffee liqueur in the bowl, stirring constantly. Stir in the vanilla.
- Combine the chocolate mixture with the tofu, peanut butter and agave/honey in a blender.
- Blend until smooth for several minutes. Periodically turn off blender and scrape sides of blender with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the filling into the crust and refrigerate at least 2 hours or until the chocolate filling is set.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Serves 6 (or more if smaller slices are preferred).
Per slice: 652 calories; 37g fat (16g saturated); 266mg sodium; 1mg cholesterol; 77g carbohydrate; 5g fiber; 10g protein.