Good 'n healthy Sweet and Salty Watermelon Salad
August 10, 2016
August 10, 2016
The sweetness of watermelon combines with the salty tang of feta, the crunch of red onion, and a hint of mint for a burst of summer in every bite. There’s nothing like ice cold watermelon on a hot day. And because it’s made up of 92% water and lots of electrolytes, it helps keep you hydrated!
Watermelon is an excellent source of fiber and antioxidants like vitamin C; its high lycopene content may help protect against heart disease; and its choline content helps sleep, muscle movement, learning and memory, and reducing chronic inflammation.
Next time you see a big juicy watermelon at the farmer’s market or grocery store, toss it with a citrus vinaigrette and make it the star of your salad.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- 8 cups watermelon cut into one-inch cubes (about one-half watermelon)
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lime juice (or lemon juice)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ cup red onion, sliced thin
- ½ cup fresh mint, sliced
- 1 cup reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled or cut into small cubes
Hint: Since the salad is best eaten immediately you may want to prepare ingredients ahead of time then combine with watermelon right before serving.
- Drain watermelon in colander while you prepare other ingredients. (Here’s one way to cut up a watermelon.)
- Mix dressing of lime juice, olive oil and honey in small bowl and set aside.
- Combine watermelon, onion and mint in large bowl.
- Pour dressing over salad, and then gently fold in the Feta cheese.
- Spoon mixture into large bowl. Sprinkle with more mint, feta cheese and onion to serve, if desired. Use slotted spoon to serve salad since watermelon juices will collect in the bottom of the bowl.
Makes 8, 1-cup servings.
Note: There are several variations to this salad. You can substitute red or balsamic vinegar for the lime juice; use other herbs such as basil and cilantro; add tomatoes and cucumbers; or even toss in several cups of arugula, baby spinach or greens. Adding a little salt and pepper is optional.
Per 1-cup serving: 151 calories; 9.5g total fat (2.9g saturated, 1.0g polyunsaturated, 4.0g monounsaturated); 353mg sodium; 10mg cholesterol; 12.1g carbohydrate; 0.9g fiber; 11g sugars; 6.1g protein; 196.8mg potassium.