September 10, 2020
Who doesn't love wings? They're always a big hit at any celebration or family meal. Check out our healthier and equally delicious tenderloins and cauliflower bites, ready to dip in our amazing, low-fat blue cheese dressing.
Step Aside Wings: Enter Buffalo Chicken Tenderloins
Consider the chicken wing, most of which is skin and bone. You would have to eat about five wings to equal the amount of meat in five ounces of skinless, boneless chicken tenderloin. That means consuming about five times more calories, fat and cholesterol.
With little fuss and mess, these chicken tenderloins are a breeze to make and can be on the table in less than half an hour. They will maintain their flavor and tenderness if you need to keep them warm to take to a party or reheat for later.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 8-10 minutes
Total time: 15-20 minutes
- 10 chicken tenderloins (about 1.5 lbs.)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup hot sauce (Frank’s or Crystal)
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Combine garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Add chicken tenderloins and toss to coat with spices.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to large skillet and heat to medium high. Add half the chicken tenderloins and sauté on each side for 4 minutes. Remove to dish.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the rest of the tenderloins.
- While tenderloins are cooking, make the buffalo sauce by combining the hot sauce, vinegar and butter in a small saucepan and heat on medium low until butter is melted. Stir well and keep warm.
- Turn off heat to skillet and combine all the tenderloins. Add the buffalo sauce and stir until tenderloins are coated.
- Serve with celery sticks and a light ranch or blue cheese dressing. (See our low fat recipe below.)
Makes 5 servings.
Per serving size (two tenderloins, about 5 ounces) including sauce: 236 calories; 12.2g total fat (3.6g saturated, 1.2g polyunsaturated, 6.9g monounsaturated); 483mg sodium; 82.4mg cholesterol; 0.8g carbohydrate; 0.3g fiber; 0.2g sugars; 30.2g protein; 21.8mg potassium.
Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
These low cal, low fat bites offer a vegetarian option without losing the kick of the buffalo. Cauliflower contains antioxidants and phytonutrients that can protect against cancer; fiber that helps with satiety, weight loss, and a healthy digestive tract; choline that is essential for learning and memory, along with other important nutrients.
Munch away at only 36 calories per cup and know you are doing your body well.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into bit-sized florets, (about 6 cups)
- 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
- ¼ cup hot sauce (Frank’s or Crystal)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Place cauliflower in zip lock gallon plastic bag.
- Mix melted butter with hot sauce, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Add hot sauce mixture to cauliflower and shake well until florets are coated with the sauce. (At this point you can refrigerate until ready to bake.)
- Spread florets on baking sheet that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve with celery sticks and a light ranch or blue cheese dressing. (See our low fat recipe below.).
Makes 6 servings.
Per 1 cup serving: 36 calories; 1.1g total fat (0.5g saturated, 0.1g polyunsaturated, 0.2g monounsaturated); 390mg sodium; 1.8mg cholesterol; 5.9g carbohydrate; 2.6g fiber; 0.2g sugars; 2.1g protein; 313mg potassium.
Low Fat Blue Cheese Dressing
Combine the following ingredients in a small bowl and stir well:
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese, mashed into small pieces with a fork
- 6 ounces nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
Makes 1 cup dressing.
Per serving (2 tablespoons): 32 calories; 1.9g total fat (1.1g saturated, 0.0g polyunsaturated, 0.4g monounsaturated); 102mg sodium; 4.8mg cholesterol; 1.7g carbohydrate; 0.3g fiber; 1.0g sugars; 2.0g protein; 18.3mg potassium.