Good ‘n healthy Beef & Mushroom Burgers
May 1, 2017
June 29, 2016
Next time you fire up the grill, try this healthier twist to the classic hamburger, a beef-mushroom blend. We guarantee you won’t even taste a difference.
You’ll be adding extra vitamins, antioxidants, fiber and other nutrients by substituting mushrooms for one-third the beef. Combining lean ground beef with mushrooms will result in each burger containing about 50 less calories, 3 grams less fat and about 20 milligrams less cholesterol than using lean ground beef alone.
Our beef & mushroom burgers are low in sodium too. Worcestershire sauce adds flavor and is a low-sodium option over salt (1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce has 65mg of sodium compared to 1 teaspoon of regular table salt with 2360 mg).
And what’s more American than serving burgers at backyard gatherings to celebrate the summer? Pass the lettuce, tomatoes, onions and pickles.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 lb. 90% lean ground beef with 10% fat
- ½ lb. fresh mushrooms, any kind, rinsed, dried and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (about ½ cup) chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: 1 teaspoon garlic powder and/or favorite herb, such as thyme
- Quarter mushrooms and pulse in food processor a few times until finely ground. (Mushrooms can be finely chopped by hand but the food processor is much faster, especially if you double or triple the recipe for a larger group.)
- Heat large skillet to medium high heat and add olive oil. Add onions and sauté about 1 minute.
- Stir in finely chopped mushrooms and sauté with onions another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool until ready to make the burgers.
- To prepare burgers, add mushroom-onion mixture to ground beef in a medium to large bowl along with the Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, and favorite spices, if desired.
- Mix thoroughly then form into patties. Using a ½ measuring cup ensures burgers are the same size.
- Grill for about 5 minutes on each side and serve with your favorite toppings and condiments.
Makes 6 patties. Can be doubled or tripled for larger groups.
Per burger (does not include roll): 143 calories; 6.8g total fat (2.7g saturated, 0.1g polyunsaturated, 0.0g monounsaturated); 81mg sodium; 46.7mg cholesterol; 3g carbohydrate; 0.7g fiber; 1.2g sugars; 16.7g protein; 140.4mg potassium.