December 9, 2016
March 28, 2016
A perfect salad any time of year, our good ‘n healthy Pea Salad is economical and fast and easy to make for family meals or picnic outings.
While frozen peas are abundant year round, spring and summer is the best time to buy fresh, right from the farm stand, if possible. Peas are so good and sweet that many people enjoy eating them almost like candy, whether fresh or frozen, without cooking.
The minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, fiber and protein in peas feed our muscles and brains, support our bone health and nervous system; and benefit our immune system, especially if eaten raw. While other ingredients in this salad add some fat, sugar and cholesterol, peas alone contain no cholesterol, are low in fat and sodium, and have only 134 calories per cup.
The sweetness of peas combined with the saltiness of bacon, the bite of onion and creamy dressing is a gastronomical delight. Easy, peasy.
Preparation time: 20-30 minutes (includes frying bacon)
- 4 strips low-sodium bacon, fried, drained and crumbled
- 2 cups peas (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup (4 ounces) reduced fat cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
- ¼ cup red or sweet onion, diced
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon mint, minced, optional
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. The salad will taste even better the next day after flavors have time to blend.
Makes 4 servings of about ½ cup each.
Double or triple ingredient amounts for larger gatherings.
Per ½ cup serving: 144 calories; 6.8g total fat (3.1g saturated, 0.1g polyunsaturated, 0.0g monounsaturated); 277mg sodium; 11.9mg cholesterol; 11.6g carbohydrate; 4.0g fiber; 4.1g sugars; 10g protein; 237.4mg potassium.
Don’t miss important health and wellness updates. Like Lancaster General Health on Facebook to learn when new blogs and healthy recipes are added to the LG Health Hub.