Lancaster General Health’s Food Service team created a healthy alternative to the all-American burger, along with pickled onions and Parmesan chips, and served it up to a receptive crowd at our Lebanon facility. Give it a try!
1 lb. ground chicken
- ¼ cup lite Caesar dressing, mixed with ¼ C Greek nonfat plain yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Romaine lettuce, garnish
1 med. red onion, cut into ¼” slices
- ½-1 cup vinegar *
- 2 teaspoon sweetener of choice (agave nectar, raw sugar, etc. If using artificial sweetener such as Splenda, reduce amount to ½ teaspoon)
*Any white vinegar can be used, such as plain vinegar, champagne vinegar, white balsamic vinegar or a white flavored vinegar.
For burger: In a bowl combine chicken, Caesar dressing, yogurt, salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties. Lightly coat a skillet with oil and heat to medium high. Add burger and cook for 5 mins. on first side, flip and cook another 2-3 mins. Remove from heat and let burger rest before serving (maintains juiciness of burger). Place burger on flatbread, top with pickled onion, parmesan crisp, lettuce and a dab of Caesar dressing.
For parmesan crisps: Preheat oven to 400°. Place 2 T of the Parmesan on a silicone baking sheet. Repeat process until all the Parmesan has been used. Make sure to space the crisps 1” apart. Bake for 3-4 mins. Remove from oven and let crisps cool before handling.
For pickled onions: Combine ½ C vinegar with sweetener, stirring until combined. Add onion and additional vinegar as needed until onion is fully submersed in the pickling liquid. Pickle onion at least 3 hours, preferably overnight. Discard pickling liquid after using.
Makes: 4 servings
Per serving: 260 calories; 13g total fat; 4g saturated fat; 286mg sodium; 7g carbohydrates; 27g protein; 0g fiber
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Whisk baking powder, salt, flour in a large bowl. Add yogurt and honey, stir to combine (the yogurt’s acidity ensures a tender texture).
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until mostly smooth, about 1 min.
- Divide into 6 pieces, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 15 min.
- Working one at a time, roll out each piece into a round no more than ⅛” thick.
- Heat 1½ teaspoon oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Cook rounds of dough, one at a time, until underside is golden brown and flatbread begins to puff, about 2 mins.
- Flip until other side is golden brown, about 1 min longer. Repeat with remaining rounds of dough; let cool slightly.
Makes: 6 servings
Per serving: 212 calories; 5g total fat; 1g saturated fat; 524mg sodium; 32g carbohydrates; 8g protein; 1g fiber