October 20, 2016
October 20, 2016
Prepare this colorful and delicious salad for your next tailgate, or serve as a vegetarian meal or side dish. It’s healthy, easy to make, and promises to score big with your family and friends.
We combined some of the world’s healthiest foods for a high fiber, protein-packed salad containing ingredients known to fight cancer and heart disease, build bones and muscles, improve blood sugar levels, and promote a healthy digestive track.
The high fiber, potassium, vitamin C and vitamin B-6 content in legumes such as black beans and chickpeas all support heart health. High fiber is also important in lowering glucose levels and is associated with lowering the risk of developing colorectal cancer.
The popular and versatile avocado, used in dips, salads, wraps and smoothies, has numerous vitamins and minerals including potassium, to help control blood pressure. Avocados are also high in monounsaturated fat, the “good” fat that helps lower bad cholesterol.
This salad keeps well for several days so it can be made ahead and served when needed.
Preparation time: 20 to 30 minutes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Juice from 1 lime (about 3 tablespoons, more or less)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 can (15.5 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15.5 oz) chickpeas (garbanzo), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped fine
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced (just prior to serving)
- Except for the avocado, mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, dice avocado and sprinkle with some lime juice to keep it from turning brown and fold into bean salad. Garnish with extra cilantro if desired.
Makes 6, 1 cup servings. Adapted from skinnytaste.com
Per 1 cup serving: 150 calories; 7.0g total fat (1.0g saturated, 0.9g polyunsaturated, 4.5g monounsaturated); 279mg sodium; 0.0mg cholesterol; 17.7g carbohydrate; 6.7g fiber; 1.7g sugars; 5.5g protein; 163mg potassium.