Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala
February 15, 2017
This classic Italian-American dish is made easier in the crock pot. Traditional Chicken Marsala sautéed in a skillet can be a little tricky, and a little messy. Cooking most of the ingredients in the crock pot ahead of time, then finishing the sauce in the skillet results in a mouth-watering dinner, without the stress.
Chicken breasts, the leanest part of the chicken, are low in fat and high in protein to keep bones and muscles strong; and its many nutrients include vitamin B-6, important for heart health.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes (30 minutes before cooking, 15 minutes after cooking)
Cooking Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours and 45 minutes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise, and trimmed of any fat
- ½ cup sweet onion, sliced
- 10 to 12 ounces white or baby portabella mushrooms, stems removed, rinsed and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, or more to taste
- 1 cup Marsala, sweet or dry
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons flour or cornstarch
- ½ cup water or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, or juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced, for garnish
- Place onion, mushrooms and garlic in bottom of crock pot.
- Arrange chicken breasts over vegetables and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour Marsala and chicken broth over chicken. Turn crock pot to low and cook for 3 hours.
- Remove chicken from the crock pot and place on a serving plate. Cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Pour the onion-mushroom mixture along with all the broth/Marsala into a 10 to 12-inch skillet. Bring mixture to a simmer.
- Mix the flour or cornstarch into the ½ cup of water or broth and stir until smooth. Add to the skillet and stir mixture frequently until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Stir in the butter and lemon juice.
- Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley. Serve with rice, noodles or roasted potatoes and salad or vegetable of choice.
Makes 8, 5-to-6 ounce servings.
Per serving with sauce: 195 calories; 5.3g total fat (1.7g saturated fat, 0.2g polyunsaturated fat, 2.0g monounsaturated fat); 591g sodium; 92mg cholesterol; 5.3g carbohydrate; 0.7g fiber; 0.8g sugars; 33g protein; 140.8mg potassium.