Good ‘n healthy Korean BBQ
February 14, 2018
When world’s attention turns toward the Winter Olympics 2018 and its host city, Pyeongchang, South Korea, we cooked up a classic dish: Korean BBQ, or Galbi.
While the traditional Korean BBQ made with beef short ribs does have numerous dietary benefits due to its low calorie ingredients and cooking method, we chose to make ours even leaner with sirloin steak. We also reduced the sodium by using lite soy sauce.
Slicing the steak thin and marinating overnight, if time allows, then a quick turn on the grill results in mouth-watering, tender bites of meat. Enjoy “Galbi” as the Koreans do with a “ssam” (wrap): Place a leaf of red leaf lettuce in the palm of your hand, then layer rice and a slice of steak inside and top with your favorite dipping sauce.
And remember to serve your Korean BBQ with kimchi–spicy pickled Napa cabbage, the national dish of Korea.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Marinating time: 4 to 24 hours
Grilling or broiling time: About 10 minutes
Total active time: About 30 minutes
- 12 oz sirloin steak, or other lean steak such as flank or skirt, sliced across the grain &fac14;-inch thick
- Scallion, sliced thinly, for garnish
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 1 green onion (scallion) thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons white wine or Japanese sake, optional
- ¼ cup lite soy sauce
- ¼ cup pear juice (or ½ Asian pear pureed)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1-2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger root, or ½ teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
The day before serving:
- Combine marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the steak and coat with marinade. Cover bowl, or pour beef and marinade into a plastic bag with zip lock, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and drain meat. Save the marinade to baste steak while grilling or broiling if desired.
- Grill or broil the steak 3 to 4 minutes on each side until nicely browned. Sprinkle with sliced scallions if desired.
- Serve with red leaf lettuce, brown rice, kimchi and condiments of your choice such as soy bean paste, red chili paste or hoisin sauce.
Makes 4 servings.
Per 3 ounces (2-3 strips) of Korean BBQ: 184 calories; 6.1g total fat (2.1g saturated, 0.5g polyunsaturated, 0.4g monounsaturated); 198.6mg sodium; 49.5mg cholesterol; 8.3g carbohydrate; 3.1g fiber; 3.8g sugars; 26.3g protein; 334.9mg potassium.