Good ‘n healthy Baked Oatmeal with Blueberries
January 23, 2018
Tasty, nutritious and moist, this make-ahead breakfast can be reheated in individual servings to enjoy at home or at work. Add a little almond milk, or top it off with a dollop of yogurt and some fresh fruit, and you are good to go.
Oats This gluten-free, whole grain is just plain good for you; loaded with protein, omega-3 fatty acids, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and more. This fiber-rich, heart-smart superfood can lower levels of LDL (or bad) cholesterol and help keep arteries clear.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 to 40 minutes
Total time: 45 to 55 minutes
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained
- Non-fat plain or vanilla yogurt and berries for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 8x8-inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, combine oats, maple syrup, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In large bowl, stir together the eggs, vanilla, almond milk, applesauce and butter.
- Pour the dry ingredients in medium bowl into the wet ingredients in the large bowl and stir to combine.
- Fold one cup blueberries into the mixture.
- Pour mixture into the glass baking dish and scatter remaining one cup blueberries over top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, uncovered, until edges begin to brown and blueberries begin to bubble.
- Remove from oven and allow oatmeal to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with yogurt and a variety of berries, if desired, and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Makes 9 servings of approximately 2 ½ x 2 ½-inch squares.
Per serving (does not include optional yogurt or berries): 186.9 calories; 6.0g total fat (0.3g saturated; 0.7g polyunsaturated, 0.7g monounsaturated); 275.2mg sodium; 10.0mg cholesterol; 30.5g carbohydrate; 11.1g sugars; 3.8g fiber; 4.5g protein; 57.9mg potassium.