Heart-healthy Bean Burrito Bowl
January 5, 2021
March 22, 2019
A power packed meal in one, our Bean Burrito Bowl serves up heart healthy omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, along with lots of fiber, protein, and vitamin B6. And, it has zero cholesterol.
Prepare and serve the bowls individually, or make a party of it by placing ingredients on the table for everyone to enjoy assembling on their own. Just cook the rice and go…so easy.
Oh, and did we mention it’s amazingly delicious?
Cooking and preparation time: 40 minutes
Assembly: 10 minutes
Total time: about 50 minutes
For the Dressing:
- 5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
For the Bowl:
- 2 cups cooked basmati brown rice, per package instructions
- 1, 15.5 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups romaine or head lettuce, chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 avocado, diced or sliced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ small red onion, sliced
To serve, optional:
- Low fat sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Lime wedges
- Hot sauce
While the brown rice simmers, prepare the dressing and vegetables.
- For the dressing, whisk together lime juice, olive oil, and salt and black pepper in small bowl.
- Spoon ½ cup brown rice among four serving bowls. Divide the lettuce, black beans, tomatoes, avocado and cilantro between the bowls.
- Sprinkle with red onion and drizzle each serving with a tablespoon of dressing.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, tortilla chips, lime wedges and hot sauce on the side, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 385.8 calories; 16.3g total fat (2.8g saturated; 2.3g polyunsaturated, 9.2g monounsaturated); 467.3mg sodium; 0.0mg cholesterol; 10.7g carbohydrate; 54.8g sugars; 13.0g fiber; 11.9g protein; 526mg potassium.