Good 'n healthy Tomato Spinach Chicken Spaghetti
October 3, 2019
Tired of the same old pasta sauce over spaghetti? Change it up with chicken, fresh tomatoes, spinach and basil for a satisfying meal your family will love with the nutrition they need. Specifically, tomatoes are a major source of the antioxidant lycopene, which has been linked to many health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease. Spinach is also heart-healthy, helping to provide protection against high blood pressure.
Preparation time: 20-30 minutes
- 8 oz. whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 medium to large Roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 10 oz. fresh spinach
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese, optional
Begin by making the spaghetti according to package directions. While the spaghetti cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients:
- Heat large skillet to medium high. Add olive oil, red pepper flakes and chicken.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and oregano. (If using dried basil, add it now.) Sauté mixture for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in garlic and tomatoes and sauté another minute.
- Add spinach and gently fold into mixture. It may seem like a lot of spinach, but it wilts quickly and reduces in size quite a bit. Keep folding until just wilted.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Pour mixture over drained spaghetti. Top with parmesan cheese.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil, if desired, and serve.
Note: Toss in ½ cup chopped black olives, two tablespoons capers and several chopped anchovies for Chicken Puttanesca!
Makes four, two-cup servings.
Per serving: 433.7 calories; 12.9g total fat (2.8g saturated, 0.7g polyunsaturated, 5.4g monounsaturated); 786.7mg sodium; 73.6mg cholesterol; 54.4g carbohydrate; 8.6g fiber; 8.5g sugars; 34.0g protein; 410.5mg potassium.