January 8, 2021
Our good 'n healthy avocado toast makes a great breakfast, lunch, or anytime snack. Full of good fats, dietary fiber, protein, vitamins and much more, avocados are a healthy complement to anyone’s diet, but especially to pregnant and lactating women.
Avocados Are Good for Your Baby!
One study found the unique nutrient-rich, plant-based avocado contains many of the crucial nutrients for fetal and infant health and development.
While calorie-rich, avocados do not contain empty calories from added sugars, saturated fats, or alcohol, and are sodium-free. Half an avocado is about 114 calories, but compared to other fruits, they still have fewer calories than fatty condiments like mayonnaise, which has 100 calories in one tablespoon!
So enjoy an avocado on toast, just plain, or toss some of your favorite toppings with it and enjoy. Look for avocados that yield a bit to a gentle squeeze, but are not too soft.
Preparation time: 5–15 minutes depending on desired toppings
- 1 avocado, peeled and pit removed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Dash of black pepper
- 2 slices hearty whole wheat or whole grain bread, toasted
- Place the avocado pulp on a plate and mash with a fork to desired consistency. Mix in the juice, salt and pepper.
- Spread avocado mixture over toast. Enjoy it plain or add your favorite toppings (see suggestions below).
Hint: For extra flavor, cut a clove of garlic in half and lightly rub the cut side over the top of the toast before adding the avocado mixture.
Tips for Avocado Toast Toppings
Try these toppings on your avocado toast, or try your own!
- Scrambled, poached or fried egg
- Chickpeas, feta cheese and chopped green onion
- Sliced tomatoes or grape tomatoes, chopped basil and a dribble of good quality balsamic vinegar or glaze
- Any favorite herbs or spices
Makes 2 servings.
Per serving (1 slice whole grain toast with ½ avocado and pinch of salt, no toppings): 179.4 calories; 13.6g total fat (1.8g saturated, 1.6g polyunsaturated, 8.5g monounsaturated); 382.5mg sodium; 0.0mg cholesterol; 15.5g carbohydrate; 8.4g fiber; 1.3g sugars; 4.2g protein; 438.6mg potassium.