Allergic reaction to a bite or sting

Coronavirus

NEW VISITOR POLICY in effect as of Friday, March 27
See all Novel Coronavirus Information for Penn Medicine Patients

 

Due to the recent Novel Coronavirus emergency, some locations may be operating with different hours or temporarily closed.

Allergic reaction to a bite or sting

An allergic reaction occurs when the immune system overreacts to an allergen in the venom of a stinging or biting insect. Symptoms include itching, rash, hives, joint swelling, inflammation at or around the site of the sting or bite, trouble breathing, or a severe reaction called anaphylaxis.

Treatment for insect sting allergies depends on how severe the reaction is. Mild local reactions can often be treated with cold packs and medicines for pain, swelling, and itching. An epinephrine shot can treat more serious reactions. A severe reaction (anaphylaxis) is potentially life-threatening and requires emergency care.

Share This Page: