Lancaster General Health is the lead agency for Safe Kids Lancaster County. We are a member of Safe Kids Worldwide, a global organization dedicated to preventing injuries in children—the number one killer of kids in the United States.
Based on the needs of our community, our local coalition, including volunteers from all sectors of the community, provides education and resources for families that focus primarily on farm safety and child passenger safety. We strive to help people understand the importance of making safe, healthy choices from an early age. Check out the Parent's Guide to Child Safety.
Free Car Seat Safety Checks
Road injuries are the leading cause of unintentional deaths of children in the United States. Correctly used child safety seats can reduce the risk of death by as much as 71 percent.
Certified technicians can help you learn how to correctly install your car seat for FREE. View the Safe Kids Lancaster County Car Seat Check Locations to find the closest location to you. You may also visit our Health & Safety events calendar for pre-scheduled seat checks.
Top Tips about Car Seat Safety
Source: Safe Kids Worldwide
- Buying the right car seat. Your baby needs to ride in a rear-facing car seat as long as possible until 2 or more years. When your child has outgrown that seat, you are ready for a forward-facing car seat.
- Do not buy a used car seat. There's no way to be sure that a used car seat from a stranger is safe. A used car seat is unsafe if it has been in a crash or if it is missing parts, labels or instructions. A car seat is also unsafe if the manufacturer has issued a safety recall and seat has not been fixed.
- Check out the Ultimate Car Seat Guide for more details on the right car seat for your child.
- Installing your car seat. You'll need to decide on using either the seat belt or lower anchors to secure your car seat. Both are safe, but don’t use them both at the same time. Once your child is forward facing, it is important to use the tether with the seat belt or lower anchors. Get more details about installing your car seat from Safe Kids Worldwide.
- Getting the right fit. A properly-fitted harness gives the best possible protection for your child. Read more about properly fitting your child at every age.
- When to change your car seat. Look on the car seat label to make sure your child is still within the weight, height and age limits for that seat. Get details about when to change your car seat.
Learn more car seat safety tips to protect your child.
Farm and Family Safety Day Events
Each year, Safe Kids Lancaster County and Lancaster General Health host FREE Farm and Family Safety Days to help prevent and reduce the number of farm-related injuries.
Families are encouraged to attend the event, where community partners teach practical safety measures that can be used on the farm and at home. Presentations are geared to all age levels, and attendees rotate through interactive educational stations to learn about safety topics.