If your child is admitted to Lancaster General Hospital, hospitalists will provide high quality care to your child. A hospitalist is a doctor who spends all of his or her time caring for patients in the hospital setting.
Dedicated Pediatric Inpatient Care
Thanks to an alliance with Lancaster General Health, board-certified hospitalists from Children's Hospital of Philadelphia provide 24/7 inpatient pediatric care at Lancaster General Hospital, and coordinate with your child’s primary care physician.
Lancaster General Hospital is the only hospital in the area with an entire family-friendly unit dedicated to the care of infants, children and adolescents up to age 17. Visitation for parents is unlimited, and each room includes accommodations for one parent to spend the night.
While in the hospital, your child will receive inpatient care from admission through discharge. Our hospitalists will visit regularly and coordinate your child’s care plan. They will order any necessary tests, procedures and medications, follow-up on results, and make any appropriate adjustments.
Working alongside our hospitalists are pediatric cardiologists from Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, as well as nurses, social workers and other staff who are specially trained to care for children. These pediatric hospitalists and cardiologists also work in Lancaster General Hospital’s Level II Trauma Center and Emergency Department, providing specialized support around the clock.
In the event that your child requires a more advanced level of care, our partnership with Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia gives families seamless access to the renowned resources of their main hospital and any of their CHOP Specialty Care Centers. The team at LG Health will coordinate your child’s care and provide guidance and support to your family at every step. Learn more about visiting Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
Coming Soon: A New Pediatric Inpatient Center
Lancaster General Health is building a new, expanded pediatric inpatient center. Anticipated to be completed by early fall 2019, the beautifully designed unit at Lancaster General Hospital will feature:
- Larger private rooms and dedicated space for families, spanning the entire 4th floor of the new Frederick Building
- An expanded family waiting area, private consultation rooms, and a play/activity zone offering children a space to relax and enjoy age-appropriate entertainment options
- Amenities that support family needs while away from work and home, including sleeping accommodations, work space, a kitchenette, a shower, and laundry facilities
- Telemedicine capabilities to allow for coordinated communication with Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and other local health care providers
- An Interactive Patient Care (IPC) system featuring large flat screen televisions and bedside tablet computers to offer movies, television, gaming, educational materials, nurse call and service requests — all controlled by the patient, in multiple languages
- Child Life Specialists who are experts in the developmental needs of children of all ages, to prepare them for medical procedures and minimize stress and anxiety
The new pediatric inpatient center will enable us to fully leverage our partnership with Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and provide outstanding pediatric care close to home.