Physical therapy provides a wide spectrum of inpatient and outpatient services to improve the quality of life and foster independence for patients living with all types of disabilities. Patients have access to high tech equipment, often available only to elite athletes.
- Treating the underlying disease and disability
- Restoring or improving the loss of functional abilities
- Preventing complications
- Promoting adaption and adjustment of the individual and family
- Providing education and training to the individual and family
Individuals with the following conditions may be considered for physical therapy:
- Orthopedic injuries
- Sports injuries
- Occupational injuries
- Multiple trauma
- Neurological conditions
A referral from a qualified physician may be required for physical therapy. We recommend checking with your insurance carrier to assure your treatments will be covered.
AlterG: The AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill is an innovative technology that allows users to reduce their weight by up to 80 percent, allowing them to run or walk normally without bearing their full weight. This reduces the strain and impact on recovering joints, bones or muscles.
Based on technology developed by NASA, the AlterG is the only FDA-approved rehabilitation device of its kind, and is used by professional sports teams, college athletic programs, and nationally renowned hospitals and rehabilitation facilities.
AlterG sessions are available by appointment only. To schedule, call 717-544-3270. Try the AlterG at no cost by scheduling a 20-minute session.
The Benefits of AlterG
The AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill represents a significant innovation in physical therapy, rehabilitation, and training for users:
- Recovering from sports injury, orthopedic surgery, or problems of the hip, leg, knee, ankle, foot, or toes
- Rehabilitating after a stroke or other neurological issues, such as Parkinson’s Disease, that affect walking
- Seeking to lose weight but for whom sustained walking or running is not yet possible
- Who are athletes or fitness enthusiasts and need access to the latest training technology
- The AlterG encourages natural movement, helps prevent falls, and benefits those recovering from injury, as well as those who want to improve their physical fitness or athletic performance. No special training or skill is required.
Aquatic Therapy: Aquatic therapy takes advantage of the buoyancy of water to lessen pressure on muscles and joints and assist with movement. Our Hydroworx 2000 pool is specially designed to enhance rehabilitation, and our highly trained therapists evaluate each patient and provide individualized treatment programs.
Without fighting the pull of gravity, you can exercise more comfortably and increase your strength, tolerance, flexibility and endurance with less pain and muscle stress. Aquatic therapy has proven to be an effective treatment and rehabilitation for:
- Balance problems
- Chronic pain
- Cognitive impairments
- Decreased conditioning
- Decreased coordination
- Head injury
- Knee, hip or should replacement
- Muscle spasm
- Orthopedic trauma
- Pediatric development delays
- Reduced endurance
- Reduced strength
- Spinal cord injury
What to Expect
You can change out of your street clothes in our convenient locker room. The pool has a movable floor, so you can enter it without using steps or a ladder. Once you are inside, the therapist lowers the floor to the appropriate level. We maintain the water temperature at a range of 86 to 90 degrees to promote relaxation, range of motion, improved circulation and comfort.
Your therapist may have you walk on an underwater treadmill, which moves slowly. It is cushioned for low impact and has excellent traction. During your therapy session, an underwater camera and a monitor allow you and the therapist to evaluate your performance.
Your doctor can refer you for aquatic therapy. Be sure to check with your insurance carrier concerning coverage.