Thank you for your interest in our high school student volunteer program which offers students an opportunity to explore health care careers, gain leadership and job skills, and observe daily operations in a health care facility.
We offer summer and winter programs for high schools juniors who will graduate the following year. Applications and deadline information are made available on this web page in October (for winter volunteers) and March (for summer volunteers).
Volunteers work side-by-side with clinical staff mentors (nurses, patient care assistants, therapists, technicians or supplemental staff) in areas that include:
- Emergency Medicine
- Labor and Delivery
- Rehab Services
- Trauma Services
Lancaster area high school juniors with a sincere interest in health care, and a commitment to volunteering a minimum of 50 hours throughout the program are encouraged to apply.
Students may apply for the 2019 summer session (which runs June 10 - August 31) from March 4 – March 18, 2019. Your graduation date must be 2020.
Download the application and submit to Volunteer Services with the information below:
- Completed student volunteer application
- Documentation of immunization records
- Copy of recent high school transcripts to support the educational requirements of the selected health care career
- One-page essay explaining your interest in pursuing a career in the health care profession
- Letter of recommendation from a health care professional, high school guidance counselor, or other professional (not a relative) that speaks of your ability and dedication to serving others
- Signed parental consent on application
You may drop off your application information at the Volunteer Services Office, located on the first floor of Lancaster General Hospital, or send in one mailing to:
Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health
555 North Duke Street
Lancaster, PA 17604
Applications must be received in the Volunteer Office (not postmarked) by the due date.
Note: You may only participate in the student program one time so we may provide this opportunity to other interested applicants.
Acceptance to the Program
If you have been accepted into the Student Volunteer Program, you will receive an informational acceptance letter and medical testing consent form. You will be asked to:
- Complete a drug/tobacco screening and two-step tuberculosis test.
- Provide proof of mandatory influenza vaccination (if volunteering during the winter program).
- Sign a release allowing LG Health to request a background check if you are 18 years or older.
- Participate in a mandatory four-hour volunteer orientation scheduled for May 30,2019. If you are unable to attend the orientation you will be unable to participate in the program. There are no exceptions. You will need to know your social security number at orientation.
- Purchase a uniform from Volunteer Services.
- Sign an agreement to volunteer at least 50 hours.
- LG Health has a tobacco-free policy. All newly hired volunteers will be screened for nicotine usage and must be tobacco-free.
- If you are selected to volunteer at Women & Babies Hospital or in Pediatrics, you are required to submit Act 33 clearance (child abuse).
- If you have not been a resident of PA for the past 10 years, you will need to submit to Act 73 (FBI fingerprint) at your expense. Current cost is approximately $28.
Completing the Program
At the end of the program, you will be required to report all your volunteer hours, complete an evaluation documenting your experience, and return your badge. We will share a written evaluation of your performance with your high school guidance counselor.
A complimentary $500 scholarship to the Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences (for degree programs) is available to students who satisfactorily complete the high school student volunteer program.
For more information, please contact:
Volunteer Services Department
Monday - Friday 9 am - 4 pm